The Dathi are an humanoid Alien species which come from the small ocean world of Tangaroa. They have a reputation as being trustworthy, logical, but uptight and joyless. The majority of their people are governed by the totalitarian Dathi Directorate with their homeworld as its capital.
Example Names: Aneromen, Castiochosa, Damnike, Genikata, Enikeni, Mediania, Philantime, Syonaste, Tamnaris
- Docile: Re-education is common for Dathi, instilling obedience. 4-dot Intelligence maximum.
- Durable: Having flexible bones helps. They gain an additional box of Bruised Health.
- Monocular Vision: Dathi have bad depth perception. All Pilot and Firearms dice pools are at a +1 Difficulty.
- Psychic Resistance: All Telepathy powers are at a +1 Difficulty against the dathi.
- Slender: Evolving on a low-gravity world has its disadvantages. 4-dot Strength maximum.
- Tough Hide: Dathi gain an additional 2 Bashing, 1 Lethal soak.
AND Choose One:
- Specialist: One Ability at 4 dots. OR
- Telepathic: 1 in 10 Dathi are natural telepaths. Gain Telepathy Aptitude.
The dathi likely evolved from crustaceans on their homeworld.
Before the modern age, many dathi nations were very patriarchal, but matrilineal — even though they traced their lineage by their mothers, men held much of the power in society. Women formed groups for protection and to raise the young communally — subsisting off of their own labor and bribes from suitors.
Eventually, their society developed more egalitarian rule, but men remain largely individualistic while women remained social.
The humanoid Dathi have an elongated head, a hairless body covered in a thick hide, a long neck, directional ears and a wide mouth. Dathi bones are partially rigid and partially flexible cartilage, meaning that their bones are more likely to collapse, rather than snap. Likewise, their teeth are flexible and weak, so they rely on eating their food whole and letting bones in their esophagus and stomach acid dissolve their nourishment. Unfortunately, this passageway can be clogged by bones easily, so they must sometimes vomit up any indigestible matter.
Much of their diet is composed of sea food: algae, barnacles, coral polyps, crustaceans, fish, fungi, molluscs, plankton, krill, shrimp, snails, worms.
1 in 10 dathi displays telepathic ability. This does not appear to be a heritable trait, but a genetic adaptation. Two telepaths are just as likely to spawn a telepath as two non-telepaths. Even among identical twins, the chance is only 50/50 that both will be telepaths.
When females are fertile they produce an ambergis from their skin which at first gives them a terrible fecal odor, but after a few weeks takes on an attractive sweet, earthy smell. They reach sexual maturity in 5-10 years. Females are fertile once every 4-16 years, giving birth to a single offspring. The Dathi lifespan is 80-90 years.
In general, the Dathi have a reputation as an honest, logical and patriotic people.
Most Dathi grow up, go to school until age 10 and work in services or in a factory. Men will usually live alone after the age of 10, while women will form cliches with their school mates or relatives and move in together. 1 in 3 go on to learn a trade or skill. While 1 in 10 become professionals. Very few (10%) are segregated from the population in a private school to develop their natural telepathic ability and have expanded rights in society. These “Savants” have a degree of social mobility as well. Those who prove useful or popular among the Electorate may join its ranks if voted in. The Elect are enfranchised and hold the highest positions in government. The best of the best, and like-minded individuals may even be invited into the Azorta (if they exist at all).
Men don’t usually hang around to help raise their young. As such, family groups are between 6-9 dathi, mostly women and their young boys and girls. Men tend to live on their own once they reach adulthood. Basic education is completed by age 10, but 1/3 go on to higher education until age 15 or 20 depending upon specialty.
- Logic is valued above all other virtues. If you can present a logical argument to a dathi, they are expected to agree with you unless they can counter with their own rhetoric.
- Art and literature — anything that evokes emotion, independent thought, or possible dissent — are suppressed by the Directorate. Outside the directorate, many view art as either awe-inspiring or dangerous.
- Gender roles tend to encourage men to be loners and individualistic, while women are expected to be social and put others ahead of herself.
- Regardless, men and women hold power equally in most dathi communities — however, custody and inheritance favors matrilineal descent.
- Historically, the most widespread religion has been primarily focused on ancestor worship, but the Dathi Directorate enforces a state religion focused on the worship of a common ancestor for all dathi and represses all other forms of religion.
- They once believed in magic, but the notion has passed into the realm of childishness.
- People are expected to win the loyalty and respect of their peers before they are ready for leadership. Men are meant to impress, while women likely curry favor.
- Females who are in their early fertility period smell awful, and most refuse to socialize during this time.
- The dathi do not have marriage or monogamy — a matchmaking ministry of the Directorate selects breeding pairs and gives special dispensation for volunteers to this program. The rest of the population are fed birth control along with emotional suppressants.
Their military is strong, focused on heavily-armed spacecraft outfitted with lasers and ion torpedoes at the expense of armor, shields and speed.